Notes from 46th International STC Conference
Cincinnati, Ohio, May 16-19, 1999
This site contains notes taken
from the technical sesssions at the 46th Annual International Conference
of the Society for Technical Communication (STC)
in Cincinnati, Ohio, May 16-19, 1999. Below is a hot-linked table
of contents. Additional links to other sites and materials are provided
within the notes from the various sessions. In some cases, handouts are
available only in hard-copy form. To get copies, contact
Dan Voss via e-mail.
For downloadable files of presentations from the conference, check out the
Conference Web site.
- "What Web Authors and Designers Should Know about
Search Engines", Gay Marie Logsdon, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, TN.
- "Optimizing Graphics for the WWW -- GIF, JPG",
Amey L. Celoria, Amy Designs, Inc., Indialantic, FL.
- "SGML or XML: Which is Right for You?",
Lori DeFurio, Adobe Systems, Inc.
- "Global Transitions", Jaap van der Meer,
ALPNET, Inc., Montreal, QC; JoAnn Hackos, Comtech Services, Inc., Denver, CO; and
Deborah Rosenquist, Dell Computer Corporation, Austin, TX.
- "When Worlds Collide", Jared M. Spool,
Interface Engineering, Inc., North Andover, MA.
Writing and Editing
- "The Distinction Between Writers and Editors",
Karen Bachmann, The Research Connection, Inc., Tampa, FL.
- "Expand Your Income by Writing for Magazines",
Beth Agnew, Insystems Technologies, Inc., Markham, ON.
Ethics and Technical Communication
- "Ethics in Action: A 'No Talk' Workshop",
Lori Allen, Metropolitan State College of Denver, and
Dan Voss, Lockheed Martin Electronics & Missiles, Orlando, FL.
- "Dilbert™ Goes Corporate: How to Navigate the
Thorny Thickets of Corporate America Without Selling Your Soul:
Featuring Lockheed Martin Corporation's Acclaimed 'The Ethics Challenge'",
a Workshop Conducted by Dan Voss, Lockheed Martin Electronics & Missiles, Orlando, FL.
- "Making Ethical Choices on the Job," Notes from a
Networking Luncheon, Moderated by Dan Voss, Lockheed Martin
Electronics & Missiles, Orlando, FL.