Notes from 51st International STC Conference
Baltimore, Maryland, May 9-12, 2004
This site contains notes taken
from the technical sessions at the 51st Annual International Conference
of the Society for Technical Communication (STC)
in Baltimore, Maryland, May 9-12, 2004. Below is a hot-linked table
of contents of the sessions for which notes are provided. Additional links
to other sites and materials are provided within the notes from the various sessions.
Links to these sites are expected to be valid at least until September 1, 2004.
In some cases, handouts are available only in hard-copy form. To get copies of such
materials contact Dan Voss via e-mail.
The presenters of several of the sessions covered below published one or more articles
on the conference Proceedings, which are available in hard copy and, in some
cases, electronic format. To get copies of these papers, you
can contact Dan Voss via e-mail.
To view files of presentations from the conference and other related materials,
check out the Conference Web site.
- "White Papers in Your Future",
Beau Cain, San Jose State University.
- "How NOT to Prepare a Proposal",
Christine Sheppard and Bill Collins, DuPont Safety Resources;
Judith M. Herr, Well-Chosen Words; Christopher Juillet, attorney and counselor-at-law;
and W.C. Wiese, Lockheed Martin Missiles and Fire Control.
- "Communication Skills for Managers",
Jacqueline E. Sirota and Kathleen W. Pierce, Write on the Edge, Inc.
- "The Writer and the SME",
Kathryn Poe, Beal Bank (the writer), and Stephen D. Poe, Nautilus Solutions (the SME).
- "Usable Intranets—Providing Information Employees Want and Need",
Elaine Brofford, Elaine Brofford and Associates.
- "Good, Fast, and Cheap – a Balancing Act",
Jacqueline E. Sirota, Suzanne A. Hosie, and Kathleen W. Pierce, Write on the Edge, Inc.
- "The Use of Humor, Metaphor, Psychology, and Sheer Zaniness to Defuse Volatile Situations,
Lower Your Blood Pressure, and Support Stress Management in Technical Communication:
Real-World Applications of M4A4Z4 Theory",
workshop presented by Dan Voss, Lockheed Martin Missiles and Fire Control.
Outreach and Community Service (Orlando STC Chapter and STC AccessAbility SIG)
- "What Generation Gap? In Orlando, STC and UCF are a Winning Combination!",
Dan Voss, Lockheed Martin Missiles and Fire Control; Dr. Dan Jones, University of Central Florida;
Bonnie Spivey, Walt Disney World; Cindy Hauptner, UCF; and Bob Stultz, UCF.
- "Operation Butterfly and Other Adventures in Cooperation between Industry and Academe:
When Rip Van Winkle and Shirley Temple Join Forces, the Sky's the Limit", by Spivey and Voss
- "Meet the Future: Leveraging Multimedia for Professional and Educational Outreach",
by Voss, Jones, Hauptner, and Stultz
- "Secondary Disabilities: The Vicious Circle (How One Impairment Can Cause Another",
Dan Voss, Lockheed Martin Missiles and Fire Control; Ria Voss, clinical psychologist and medical social worker;
and Lori Gillen, technical writer, McKesson Health Solutions.
Round-table presentation within AccessAbility SIG progression:
- "Willing and Able: How Technical Communicators with Disabilities Can Succeed in Their Profession"
Comments or suggestions regarding the 51st
International STC Conference notes? Please e-mail Dan Voss